Monday, February 28, 2011

1862 July 28 Letter to Hannah Blain (3565) and William Chandler (3562) from Sarah Blain (3705)

Letter written in ink on four sides of a folded sheet, dated July 28, 1862. From Sarah Blain (3705) in Granville, Licking County, Ohio to her mother (3565) and uncle (3562).

July the 28 1862
Granville, Licking County, Ohio

My Dear Mother (3565) and Uncle (3562),

I have just been to the post office and got a letter from Uncle (3562) dated the 25th. You said you had not had a line from me yet. I came sat down to write to you the moment I read your letter, for I am afraid you will be so uneasy a bout me. I think I am getting along very well. I am a good deal stronger than I was when I came. The Doctor says I am better, and he is no hand to flatter I do not think. He says my disease is a liver complaint and has been so from the first of my sickness. He says the case has to be treated very slowly. He has not given me any medicine yet. I have a cold bath in the morning at ten, and another at 3 o’clock in the afternoon. And the rest of the day I have to walk when the sun is not too hot in the open air. And in the heat of the day we have exercise in the hall and with the hand swing.

You remember when I came here I was drinking milk and eating beef. The Doctor laughed at me when I told him what I was eating. The second day after I came he told me I must have brown bread. And the next morning not any meat, for only dinner, and next he stopped me from drinking milk. And for more than a week he has not given me but one drop cake that is made of unbolted flower and mixed up with water and a little salt for my breakfast dinner and super.

I wrote to you last Tuesday telling you how I was getting along and was expecting an answer. I was very much surprised to hear you did not get my letter. I feel in hope you have gotten it by this time.

I am still at the same place where the doctor left me. I use Doctor Bancroft every day. He lives just across the street. They charge 4 dollars per week for boarding patients. The folks that keep the boarding house are old school Presbyterians.

The patients get to ride out every day or so. This morn Mrs. Gardener and I walked a mile and a half before breakfast. I have to climb two high hills every day. I am a good deal stronger than I was when I left home.

I am in a hurry to get this finished in time for the mail or I would write more. You must not get uneasy about me. I think I shall get along pretty well for a few weeks. You must write to me as soon as you get this for I shall not be satisfied until I know you have got my letters. From your affectionate niece and daughter.

Sarah Blain (3705)

Please direct your letter to Granville, Licking County, Ohio in care of the Dilley house.

In post




No comments:

Post a Comment