Monday, February 28, 2011

1862 Aug. 9 Letter to Sarah Blain (3705) from R.A. Lumbeck

Letter written in ink on four sides of a single folded sheet, dated August 9, 1862. From R. A. Lunbeck at home to Sallie (Sarah Blain) (3705).



Home Aug 9th 1862

Dear Sallie (3705),

I received your kind letter Tuesday evening. Was truly glad to hear from
you. I had almost begin to think you had forgotten your promise to me. I am truly glad that you like the place so well & are so well satisfied there. & also that your health is improving. By the way Sallie, it is reported in Massieville already that you & the Doctor run off Mrs. Giles. & I had a good laugh over it. Well we must have some fun at your expense any way, but you must be careful how you run of with the Doctor hereafter, for there is no telling what will happen.

I have not seen your Ma (3565) since you left. I have not been down to see her yet. We have been very busy putting up fruit. We have put up 1.6 gallons & made 3 gallons of jam. & it is such awful warm weather. It has been so very warm & dry for some time. We have not had but one good shower of rain since you left. It looks some like it is going to rain this evening. It is thundering. Oh! I do hope it will rain a good shower. I wish it would just pour down for a while. Everything is so dry that it is almost burned up for the want of rain.

Well, Sallie (3705), we have not gone to Columbus yet but are still talking of going. It is so very warm that I don’t want to go until it rains & is yet some cooler, for it is so very dusty. I think if it rains & gets cooler that probably we will go next week some time. I should like to go to see you if I could, but it is most too far for us to go there with such warm weather.

So if you don’t see us you must not be disappointed. I expect you will get so high minded whilst staying there that you will not have anything to do with your old friend when you return home again, will you not?

Well Sallie, have you seen any nice looking & good looking beans yet? You must tell me when you do & if you fall in love with any of them. John & Ettie & Jim & Annie Chestnut were here & spent the day yesterday. Little Frank is as pretty & smart as ever. Oh! I do think he is such a sweet child. Little Ida is a good deal prettier than she was last winter when Annie was up on a visit. I had a letter from Sue Scurlock this week. She writes she is very busy now putting up blackberries & say she has been cooking hurried hands and milks two cows. I sense she doing wonders, don’t you think? Nary anything else yet so she says.

Well Sallie, it is beginning to rain now, so I hope I will get my wish. You say you have had nary dried apples yet – well I think they have slighted you not to give you nary one. By the way, I have had roasting ears - had some yesterday & the day before. Oh it is such a treat to have corn again. It is so nice. Do you have such a treat where you are? I think that the roasting ears are better than usual this summer.

By the way Sallie I forgot to tell you that Joe had been at home. He came the next day after you went away. He was home better than a week – he is going to remain at Charleston for some time yet. They are trying to raise more volunteers in Chillicothe. They have got some - I don’t know how many yet. Cash Giles talks some of going. I don’t know whether he will or not.

Sallie, Joe Trigo has not gone yet. I don’t know whether he has any notion of going or not. Have you heard any thing from him yet Sallie? I don’t think he is good enough for you. I think you had better look out for someone up there. I think there must be some nice young men there. Now keep a sharp look out while you are there & see if there isn’t a good chance.

Well I will have to close as my paper is filled. Please excuse all mistakes & write soon to your friend.

R A Lunbeck
Goodbye my dear friend. Write soon.

Well Sallie, this is Sabbath morning & I thought I would add a line or two more. There is a basket meeting commenced yesterday & today over the river where we all went last year. But I think they will not have a very pretty day for it, for it is raining this morning & looks like it will rain all day. I didn’t care any thing about going this time. I don’t think there are much enjoyment there.


A Chandler family photo album from Chillicothe in the mid-1860s identifies this woman as Rebecca Lumbeck, believed to be the author of the above letter.



No comments:

Post a Comment