Thursday, February 24, 2011

1854 Apr. 21 Letter to Sarah Blain (3705) from Anna Bell (3703)

Letter enclosed with the letter dated April 21, 1854 and written by Anna Bell (3703) in Jefferson County, Iowa to her cousin Sarah Blain (3705) in Chillicothe, Ohio.

Dear Cousin, I take my pen in hand to write a few lines to thee. I have been going to school this last winter my principal studys have been Reading Writing and Arithmetic.

I expect to spend the summer in spinning wool. I have been to see Sister Rebecca (3699) today and they are well. The peach, pear and Plum trees are in bloom. The air is filled with pleasant odor. We are going to have a first day scripture school here this summer. Martha (3700) expects to commence teaching school week after next about one mile and a half south east of this. She taught there two summers before.

There has been a wedding half a mile from us. Their names were Elliot Hiatt and Susannah Wood. They were married by Esq. Talbert. They all lived within half a mile of us.

When you receive these lines please write to me. Excuse my spelling and writing for this is the first letter I ever undertook to write. And believe me thy affectionate cousin.

Anna Bell (3703)
To Sarah Blain (3705)

No comments:

Post a Comment