Friday, February 25, 2011

1855 Aug. 18 Letter to William Chandler (3562) from Samuel Hess

Letter on two sheets from Samuel Hess in Sharonville, Ohio to William Chandler (3562) in Chillicothe, Ohio.

Sharonville Aug 18th 1855

Mr. William Chandler (3562)

Dear Sir,

This will inform you that Sarah (3563) is quite unwell. She has been confined to her bed almost two weeks, not being able to sit up any of consequence within that time. She is still taking medicine and still has some fever. The Doctor calls and terms her disease remittent fever – she thinks probably she is some better than she has been, but I cannot discover any perceptible change for the better. Mary Eleanor had an attack of the same disease, but got better, but she has a return of fever every day for the last few days. Sarah Jane has also had an attack I presume of the same disease, but is some better and is still complaining, not being at all well. Joseph has been laid up for a day or two quite sick with some kind of fever, Cyrus and Roseanne has still kept up. I rode over the river a few miles last Thursday two weeks ago and returned home quite sick with headache the same afternoon, and had it quite severe every other day for about a week afterwards. The pain I suffered in the head was extremely acute, and I presume neuralgia, caused I imagine from a bilious state of the system. I have got tolerably well again with the exception of weakness. The disease so debilitated me so much that I have not attended to business any since last Saturday week a little after noon. One Friday after I was first taken I attended the store, and on Saturday between twelve and one o’clock I had to quit and close doors until F. C. Foster came and took charge of it. Mr. James’s brother has since been attending the store. I do not seem to regain much strength, but hope that in a few days I will be able to resume business again. If you or some of you could come down to see us, we would be pleased to see you.

Hoping this may find you well,
My best wishes attend you all.

Yours with sincere regards and esteem

Samuel Hess

Mr. William Chandler (3562)



No comments:

Post a Comment