Saturday, February 26, 2011

1857 May 23 Letter to Sarah Blain (3705) from Sarah C. Hess (3563)

Letter written in ink on four sides of folded sheet of watermarked paper, dated May 23, 1857, from Sarah Hess (3563) in Decatur, Illinois, to Sarah Blain (3705) in Chillicothe, Ohio.

1857 May 23d
Decatur Macon Co. Ill

Dear Sarah (3705)

I take my pen to inform you that we are all well at present and I hope that these lines may find you all well. I feel uneasy, for fear some of you are sick, as I have received no answer to my last letter dated April 17th though I have been looking anxiously for one. I do not think strange of Sister Rebecca (3559) thinking hard of us for not writing to her oftener than we did, for you do not know what a satisfaction it is to hear from home and those you love. And yet when I get a letter I am so nervous I tremble until I hear how you are.

You want me to tell you if there are any young folks here. I have not seen many and I do not think they are the stripe that would please you at all. They do not please me, for the people here are the most unsociable selfish beings I ever saw. I thought that I was bad enough, but I guess they are a match for me.

Neither do I like the Country. The land is good but I do not like the climate. It is too cold and changeable, and the wind blows a gale nearly all the time. And I do not think that Samuel is any better pleased than I am. That is, with the country. For about a week past we have had some fairly warm days and it begins to look like planting corn.

This is a hard place for those who have everything to buy. Bacon is from 12 to 15 cents per pound; beef 7 to 10 cents; lard to fry it in 15 cents; and every thing else in proportion. Corn 50 cents per bushel. A great Country this for wind and weather and high prices.

I expect ere this reaches you that we will be moved again as Samuel has rented a place about 12 miles northeast of Decatur, on or in the neighborhood of Friends Creek, and is going to put in what corn they can. It is on the prairie about 2 miles from timber. Allen Hays buried their youngest child a few days ago. He is getting some better himself.

Sarah, I want you to write to me and tell me every thing - how you all are, whether you were washed up by the high water, how many cows and calves you have, and how old Mike and the colts gets along? And tell me about Joe - if he is as cross as ever? Whether you have made garden, if there will be any fruit, whether you have any apples yet, and everything you can think of. When you saw the Sharonville folks and how they all are? Also of Mrs. Doddrige - how she gets along? And about poor Mary Jane’s (3694 or 3954?) baby and what they named it? I am sorry to hear that they do not want to let her have the child as I think she has a nearer claim than anyone else.

I do want to see you all very much and have a long talk with you. I would like to come to see you this fall if I could.

Evening is drawing near and I must bring my letter to a close and conclude with my love. And best wishes attended you all, and ever remain your affectionate Sister and Aunt.

Sarah Hess (3563)
Sarah C Blain (3705)

Tis sad to leave your fatherland
And friends we there lov’d well
To wander on a strangers strand
Where friends but seldom dwell




No comments:

Post a Comment