Wednesday, February 23, 2011

1853 Aug. 14 Letter to Sarah Blain (3705)

The letter is written in ink on paper. It is written on both sides of a single sheet and addressed from Eliza. A Magy (?) to Miss Sarah Blain (3705)



August the 14th 1853

My dear friend,

It is with pleasure that I sit down to inform you that I am well at present and hoping that these few lines may find you enjoying the same state of health . It is so warm this evening that I can’t write ---- or not. I received your letter and was very much pleased to hear from you. I went to the Fourth of July for the first time since we came to the County. It was always so far off that I couldn’t go. It was 50 miles from home but it was always 50 miles.

I was to camp meeting last Sabbath. They had the greatest time that you ever saw. I do think they commenced a shouting on Saturday evening and never stopped until Wednesday morning. We have more meetings around here and thing else. There is another one not far from here today, and there is one - a Tuesday a week it commences. It is about four miles from here. They don’t expect to have it on Sunday and I don’t intend to go. It commences on Tuesday and ends on Saturday.

Mary was married on the fourteenth of July. They went to Quincy to git married. There was 16 went with them. Her man’s name is Cornealias Culp. They have not went to house keeping yet, but they intend to soon. So I am all the girls that is left. I get so lonesome sometimes that I don’t hardly know what to do with myself.

You must excuse my bad writing for my hand trembles so that I can’t scarcely put my pen to the paper. My father is not at home. He went to Sociation. He started a Friday and don’t expect to be back until Tuesday. Mother had a brother come to see her last week that she hadn’t seen for twenty-one years.

Sarah (3705), I wish that you was here to help me to eat our watermelons. We have more than we expect to make use of. Wheat and corn is first rate this year. We have about one hundred and thirty acres of corn and eighty acres of wheat and fifteen acres of oats. We have four quarters of land. Wheat is 80 cents per bushel, corn is 25 cents per bushel. I expect that Joseph Lunbeck thinks his self so big that he wouldn’t speak to no common person if he would meet them on the road.

Mother and father send their best respects to all enquiring friends. I must bring my letter to a close. I send my love and best respects to all of your folks, and to yourself too. No more at present but remain your affectionate friend until death.

Eliza A. Magy (?)

to Miss Sarah Blain (3705)

I fare you well
I fare you better
when you get married
you must send me a letter

Answer soon


No comments:

Post a Comment