Tuesday, March 1, 2011

1862 Sept. 4 Letter to Hannah Blain (3565) and William Chandler (3562) from Sarah Blain (3705)

Letter written in ink on four sides of folded sheet, dated September 4, 1862. From Sallie (Sarah) C. Blain (3705) in Granville, Licking County, Ohio to her Mother (3565) and Uncle (3562).

Sept 4th 1862
Granville Licking County Ohio

My Dear Mother (3565) & Uncle (3562),

I received your letter dated the 31st of August on the 3rd of September. I am still improving in health, and feel almost well as I ever did. I think I have written more than four letters since I came here. The mails are not very regular. Sometimes I get your letters the next day after they are mailed - and one letter I got was eight days coming. You now I always was neglectful about writing, and I have not improved much in that respect.

But I surely have improved in walking beyond expectations. I can walk three miles every morning before breakfast. I think when I get back, Uncle (3562), I can climb over the hills with you. The Doctor is a great advocate of walking and being outdoors most of the time.

Our Quaker friends are here yet. Only one of the ladies is taking treatment. Her brother, Mr. Walker, and sister are staying with her. Mr. Walker drives the patients out when we ride. Last Friday we had a grand excursion to the reservoir 11 miles from here. Some 15 of us - we started early in the morning. We got there about 10 o’clock. There is two - the old and new reservoir. The new one is five miles around and the old one .25 miles. I went out in the skiff riding and got a credit mark from the doctor for being the only lady that would venture out on the water. He thinks I am getting to have considerable of self reliance and energy. He soon finds out any ones weak point and tries to strengthen them. I have not been to church but the first Sunday since I came. The Doctor says it is the worst thing for Friends. He says we can go up on the hills and get the pure air.

I cannot tell when I will get to come home. I feel well enough to come pretty soon, but I have not gained any in flesh yet. I do not way as much by 7 pounds as I did when I came here. The Doctor says he wants to pay me back with interest what I have lost. He says that I have lost that much badness.

By the way he treats the other patients, I am very well satisfied he will not keep me here a day longer than is necessary. He says he wants to learn me to doctor myself for the next five years to come. I will have to diet for one year before I get entirely clear of disease. You will all get water cure diet when I get home. I do love the brown bread. I think it is the best thing I eat.

I must finish now. You will see my shingled head some of these times. You do not know how glad I will be to get home. Write soon as you get this. I am in a hurry to get my letter before the mail closes. Take good care of yourselves and do not forget me.

Your affectionate
Sallie C Blain (3705)




No comments:

Post a Comment