Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Undated Letter to Sarah Blain (3705) from Jenni Chesnut

Letter written in pencil on two sides of a single folded sheet. It is addressed to Sarah Blain (3705) from Jenni Chesnut. The letter is undated, but appears to date from the mid-1860s. A matching envelope is addressed to Sallie Blain, Present.

Cottage Hill

Dear Sallie,

We young folks propose having a picnic on next Wednesday so you must be on the grounds bright and early. --- be on Lunbecks Hill. You come up to Mary’s and Anna McCoy Tell her we are going to have a nice time. I expect near a hundred people some from Piketon and a few from town. I am going to cook light-bread, chicken, and --- some cakes. Sallie, if you have any chickens --- o bring them. I mean what you can, for they will be --- broiled or roasted. I think I will take four. We are going to wear calico dresses and sun bonnets. Sallie, be there by ten o’clock if you can at Mary’s. I hope you are well. Good bye. My love to your mother. If you have a nice new lawn dress, wear it. I am so busy I can’t come down but be sure to come.

Jenni Chesnut

If you walk up to Marys we will find a way for you to get the rest of the way


No comments:

Post a Comment