Tuesday, March 1, 2011

1864 Oct. 17 Commendation for Stephen Slane from Capt. F.C. Gibbs

2 page commendation, ink on folded sheet of paper, from F.C. Gibbs, Capt., Comdr, Co. “L”, 1st Ohio Lt Artillery, for Stephan Slane, to whom it may concern.


Headquarters Battery “L”
1st Ohio Lt Artillery
Camp near Cedar Creek VA
October 17th 1864

To All Whom it may Concern,

Permit me to introduce to you Mr. Stephan Slane, late Orderly Sergeant in Battery “L”, 1st Ohio Light Artillery, a man in whom I have the highest confidence and respect, he having acted in the above responsible and arduous position with my battery for the last sixteen months, having attained the high position (rising from a private) by his manly conduct and strict attention to his duties as a soldier. (He received a commission from Gov. Borrough as 2nd Lieutenant in the 1st Reg. Ohio Lt. Artillery, but reasons of a private nature caused him to decline the proferred complement to his soldierly qualities. While with the Battery he was in the following battles: Winchester, March 23, 1862; Port Replublic; Antietam; Fredericksburg; Chancellorsville; Gettysburg; Wine Run; Siege of Washington; Winchester, September 19, 1864; Fischer Hill; besides numerous skirmishes, in all of which he displayed all of the manly attributes of a soldier. I can cheerfully recommend him for any position he will accept.

I am very respectfully
your most obedient servant

FC Gibbs

Capt. Commanding, Co. “L”
1st Ohio Lt Artillery”




Capt. Gibbs is identified in a Chandler family photo album from the mid-1860s


3 comments:

  1. Hi Peter,

    Can you please point me to the source of the photo? It'd be a nice treat to tuck under the Christmas tree this year! To be clear, I'm interested in the photo with his sword on the right. Thanks!

    -Christian Kendall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christian, are you interested in the photo of Capt. Gibbs or of Stephen Slain? Both photos are in my possession. I would be happy to email photo files to you if you wish to print either of them, but I need your email address. Or I can print either for you and mail it. What size would you prefer? Glad to help if I can. PAS

      Delete
    2. Can you email to susankendall@comcast.net- f.c.gibbs- this is my husband’s great grandfather

      Delete