Tuesday, March 1, 2011

1863 Jan. 20 Letter to Sarah Blain (3705) from Hannah M. Blane

Letter written in ink on two sides of a printed sheet. The letter is from Hannah M. Blane to her sister Sarah Blane (3705). Dated Jan 20th, the paper would indicate the letter is probably written in 1863. The letterhead includes a printed tree, and the following poem:

The Tree of Liberty

Traitor, spare that tree!
Touch not a single bough!
In youth it sheltered me,
And I’ll protect it now.


Jan the 20

Dear sister, it is with pleasure I sit down to write a few lines to you. I received your letter and was glad to hear from you as we have moved to Portsmouth. We have got to house keeping again. You must come down and se us. You said I must come up. I do not expect to get up very soon for it ceeps me busy moving. It has got to be al the go with me. If you want to learn come and take lessons. I will graduate soon. I would like to se you al very much.

Saly has a nother daughter a week old. Jane is living with Charley. She talks comeing up to se you in the spring. Saley Truit is in very poor health. Maney lives in one end of Charleys house. She has had a very bad cough al winter.

They are takeing the sesesionists around where we lived in MO. They have takeing sevrel hundred prisioners of which we was acquaited with several of them. James Baker the man we left in our house he was killed. Old Hary Baker and his other son was taken prisioner. They went from Chillicothe in Ohio. I hope they wil get them thind out after while.

You say Meg Stinson is married. Do you think it would be safe for him to go through a stuble field without wareing out his pants also. Saley forgive my bunders for I do not write enough to ceep my hand in. Give my love to your mother and uncle and a share for your self. No more but remain you affectionate sister til death.

Hannah M. Blane
Salie C. Blane

Direct your leters to Portsmouth



No comments:

Post a Comment