Tuesday, March 1, 2011

1868 July 23 Letter to Sarah Blain Slane (3705) from Stephen Slane

Letter written in ink on two sides of a folded sheet, from Stephen Slane to his wife Sarah Blain Slane (3705).

July 23d 1868

Dear Wife,

Your favor came to hand and was received this morning. I am glad to learn that you are no worse than when I left you. For my part I am tolerably well. So are the rest of the folks.
I sent for that you spoke of Monday morning and I am looking for it tomorrow or Friday evening. But I cannot come down before Saturday on account of thrashing Friday. I will then come in a buggy and if everything is all right I will bring you home with me.

I intended to quit with this page but will write ‘til Lockwood comes from breakfast. I am really sorry to be deprived of your society so long, but am willing to put up with anything in order that you should regain your health.

You must not let your mind dwell too much on home. Remember that it is for your own good and also my earthly happiness that you are there. So be content for the short time you have to remain absent from the one to whom the world is a blank without you.

Your affectionate Husband
Steve


No comments:

Post a Comment